Advocate for cats, manufactured by Bayer, is a flea control treatment that most cat parents are aware of and is one of the treatments that are breaking the market each year. You might be already knowing about the product or even using it regularly but in case you are not aware of this broad spectrum treatment, this blog will educate you about this topical solution.
Let’s understand –
What Is Advocate?
Advocate is a monthly topical treatment that treats fleas, intestinal worms – hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms, and Otodectes ear mites. The treatment is also very effective in preventing heartworms(Dirofilaria immitis) in cats. Though heartworms are rare in cats, recently there has been a growth in the number of heartworm cases. The highly efficacious solution also prevents re-infestation of fleas by killing flea larvae, thus breaking their flea life cycle.
How does it work?
Advocate has two very efficient ingredients Imidacloprid and moxidectin. Moxidectin is an anthelmintic that terminates the intestinal worms and microfilaria (young heartworms) by inhibiting the nerve signal transmission causing paralysis and death. Imidacloprid is an insecticide that belongs to the family of neonicotinoids. It is a neurotoxin that blocks the neurological transmission and causes the death of fleas.
Hence, the unique combination of these two ingredients protects your cat from several parasites.
How To Use ADVOCATE?
- Advocate for felines is safe to be used on kittens aged at least 9 weeks and weighing 2 lbs more.
- Weigh your cat before applying the product.
- Carefully break the seal of the applicator tube.
- Part the fur at the base of the neck of your cat.
- Now, put the open mouth of the tube on the naked skin and squeeze the entire solution.
- You have to apply the treatment on a monthly basis.
Benefits Of Advocate
- Advocate for cats treats fleas and prevents re-infestation for a one month
- The worm control treatment terminates and controls hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms
- Prevents heartworms effectively
- Mess-free application
- Waterproof treatment, just wait for the solution to be absorbed by the skin
- Effective treatment that helps in the control of flea allergy dermatitis (FAD)
- Also treats Otodectes ear mites completely in cats
How Safe Is Advocate?
The safety of advocate was tested by the manufacturer and the results can be read on the package insert. Moreover, the two ingredients are proven safe and efficacious by the US government and by several other bodies who conducted tests to confirm the effectiveness and safety of the combination (Imidacloprid + moxidectin) to be used on cats to treat fleas, intestinal worms, mites and microfilaria(young heartworms). You can find the details of the tests on the website of the National Center For Biotechnology Information i.e. NCBI.
Safety Details Of Advocate
- Do not use this product on a sick, debilitated or underweight cat.
- For external use and not to be ingested.
- Avoid contact with skin, eyes or mouth.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke during application.
- After application do not stroke or groom animals until the application site is dry.
- Safe on cats at least 9 weeks of age and weighing 2lbs or more.
- Safety of this product on breeding, pregnant or lactating cats has not been established.
- For preventing heartworm infection administer this product on a monthly basis.
- For best results use this product throughout the year.
- Take the advice of your veterinarian before using this product as heartworm treatment. Your vet will test your kitty for existing heartworm infestations because if your cat has an existing heartworm infestation then administration of this heartworm preventive can cause severe repercussions like body going in to shock.
Wondering where to buy Advocate for Cats?
You can buy advocate from Budgetvetcare.com at affordable rates. Remember to contact your vet before starting the treatment and follow the instructions in pack insert carefully to avoid issues. When in doubt you can get in touch with us by emailing us on- firstname.lastname@example.org